Trip to the city from Shanghai-Pudong Airport:
Shanghai-Pudong International Airport is 30 km from the city centre. Below we indicate different modes of transportation, but we definitely recommend taking the magnetic train!
Magnetic Train (Maglev):
- Description: the Maglev is a magnetic propulsion train that reaches speeds as high as 430 km/hr. It goes from the airport to Longyang Road Station in the centre of the city, in the direction of Pudong. Afterwards you'll need to take a taxi or the metro to the hotel.
- Cost: 50CNY one way (40CNY if you show your boarding pass).
- Duration of trip: 8 min.
- Timetable: every 15-20 min between 6:45 and 21:40.
- How to get there: the station is located between Terminals 1 and 2, right next to a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Follow the airport signs. When you get off the Maglev in Longyang Station, follow the signs to the metro (recommended) or to the taxi stand.
- Description: logically a taxi is more convenient than the Maglev as it takes you directly to the hotel, but you run the risk of being ripped off by the driver (very common in Shanghai). Make sure that the taxi is official (go and stand in the official queue at the airport). Also make sure that the meter is visible and that the driver starts it when you get in. Ask for a receipt at the end of the trip.
- Cost: around 150-170CNY (if the meter exceeds 200, you can start to worry...).
- Duration of trip: 45 min-1 hr.
- How to get there: follow airport signs and stand in official queue.
Airport Shuttle Bus:
- Description: the slowest yet cheapest alternative. Exiting the airport, you'll see some marker boards indicating the route each bus takes. Select the one that's best for your hotel (see routes).
- Cost: 15-30CNY.
- Duration of trip: 1hr - 1hr 30min.
- Timetable: every 15min between 7:00 and 23:00.
- How to get there: follow airport signs.