Recommended books and films:
Below is a list of novels and films we recommend reading or seeing before your trip, or even during it. They are intended neither as travel guides nor as never-ending historical works, but are simply personal recommendations that will help you to enjoy your trip even more:
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: Uproarious story of 3 drag queens who cross the desert in a van in order to perform in far-flung villages. A good way to get a sense of life in the Australian heartland. Buy the movie The Adventures Of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
- Australia, starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Though not a great film, it's an accurate representation of Australia at the beginning of World War Two and some of the circumstances involving "stolen children", aborigines taken away from their parents and raised among Westerners to see if they could be reprogrammed. Buy the movie Australia.
- Message from Forever, by Marlo Morgan: the true story of a sociologist who was awarded a government prize for her efforts to integrate the aborigines. The aborigines want to award her too, and so before she can even pack a suitcase, they take her to the desert to live with them for months. Buy the book Message from Forever.
- The Last of the Nomads, by W. J. Peasley. Amazing, and also true, story of the journey in search of an elderly aborigine couple that flees to the remotest desert in the name of love. Aside from being moved, you'll be taken on an adventure in which you will learn about many aborigine customs. Buy the book The Last Of The Nomads.
Blogs about Australia for reading and get inspired:
- Sydney City and Suburbs: Jim writes about Sydney. Sit down, relax and take a look to it!
- Mrs T-J Down Under: Debbie lives in Australia and writes about life there. Get inspire by the stories and pictures.
- Things Aussies like: Amy shares everything that she notices is unique to Australia and Australians. Learn more about locals!