Recommended hotel in Santiago:
We recommend staying in the Old Quarter, or just outside it, so that everything is close by. For less than 75€ it's hard to find comfortable lodging (possible on the outskirts of the city, but we don't recommend it). For 75-100€ per night there are many attractive alternatives. Here we give you a longer-than-normal list because hotels in Santiago tend to be small and availability can be a challenge.Smart Choice: Hotel Costa Vella.
- Smart Link: for reservations send an email to email@example.com.
- Price: 70.40-96.80€ double room with bathroom, breakfast not included (approx. £58-66).
- Address: Rua Porta de Pena 17, 15704 Santiago de Compostela. Tel: (+34) 981 569 530.
- How to get there: Take the bus that goes to the city from the airport (25 minutes, 3€) and get off at the bus station (first stop). We recommend taking a taxi from here to the hotel (3 minutes, 4€). You can walk if you like (15 minutes), but it's uphill and somewhat steep. You'll have to go up Rúa Anxo Casal until Praza da Paz and here take Rúa da Pastoriza (later it becomes Rúa dos Basquiños). Continue on Santa Clara and then Loureiros, and finally enter Rúa Porta da Pena. The hotel is at the beginning of this street. A taxi directly from the airport costs around 20€ (15 minutes).
- Description: A truly lovely hotel with traditional decor in the rooms and common areas and a beautiful garden with a coffee bar in the back, along which runs the wall of the Old City. It is situated on a quiet street in the historic district just a few steps from the cathedral. The service is very good, and they offer a good breakfast (6.05€ per person) with traditional regional products.
- See Hotel Costa Vella at TripAdvisor
Other recommended hotels:
- Santo Grial: 60-85€ double room, breakfast not included (approx. £49-70). An old house renovated in a traditional style. The best thing is the location on a street that is busy during the day (in the heart of the Old City) but quiet at night. The attic room is highly recommended: it has a lovely balcony looking down onto the square Praza do Toural. There is no front desk, so you have to make arrangements with the manager to the get the keys. See Santo Grial at TripAdvisor and make reservations at booking.com.
- Casa Hotel As Artes: 80-110€ double room, breakfast included (approx. £65-90). Despite being on the verge of needing a renovation, this is a charming hotel located right next to the cathedral. The rooms, while small, are very cosy. The service is excellent. They offer the same rates on their webpage as search engines. See Casa Hotel as Artes at TripAdvisor
- Hostal Mapoula: 40-50€ double room, breakfast not included (approx. £32-41). Well-situated hostel in the historic centre and close to the airport bus stop. Rooms are respectable but somewhat noisy, and the bathrooms are rather small. A good cheap offer in the Old City. They offer the same rates on their web page as search engines, but for on-line reservations it's best to use Venere. See Hostal Mapoula at TripAdvisor
- Hotel Altair: 120-140€ double room, breakfast not included (approx. £98-140). A genuine luxury hotel. Situated very close to the Old City. Though outside the wall, it still enjoys a privileged location. Rates are better on their webpage than on search engines, but if you want to make on-line reservations, use hoteles.com. See Hotel Altair at TripAdvisor
- Rosa Rosae: 70-85€ double room, breakfast not included (approx. £57-69). Located in the new part of the city, though close to the historic centre (12 minutes walking from the cathedral). The advantage is that it's a one-minute walk from one of stops of the bus arriving from the airport (centre stop). The service and rooms are impeccable. The rates on their webpage are the same as on search engines but Logitravel usually has better offers. See Rosa Rosae at TripAdvisor
Recommended search engine for Santiago: booking.com.