Taipei's Best Public Swimming Pools for Kids:
Taipei can get sooooo hot in summer. Therefore, it is always good to have a swimming pool on hand to spend a hot day with children. Taipei has many public swimming pools and some of them are well prepared for children.
In all of them:
- The outdoor pools are open from May to September.
- The price is usually NTD 100-150 per adult and NTD 50-100 per child. It is paid in cash at the entrance.
- It is necessary to bring bathing suit and hat (if you forget it, you can buy one there).
- You can eat outside (don't be shy about taking a picnic).
- You have to go barefoot: in some they even prevent you from wearing flip-flops around the pool area and in common areas such as the changing rooms and bathrooms (at first we were very unhappy, but the truth is that we have never caught a fungus!).
- Apart from the children's area, they usually have a swimming pool (outdoor or indoor) and a spa.
- It is forbidden to use sunscreen (yes, a mess with the sun as it hits here). Better to come already creamed from home, and if you have to replace it there, better not be seen and that you use an antiallergic sunscreen (sometimes it sneaks like that).
- You can take floats of the big ones or buy them there. They always have an automatic pump that you can use for free.
- They are all quite old , but the maintenance is correct and they are clean.
These are the 8 best pools in Taipei to go with children (it gives you plan for 8 different days):
1. Road Castle: It is the most expensive (350 NTD) but it is a real water park. You can combine it with Gongguan Night Market for dinner or with the Gongguan Waterfront Plaza, which has very cute terrace sites in front of the river. (MRT Gongguan Station Green Line)
2. Yucheng Park Swimming Pool: being one of the cheap ones, it is the one that has the most things for children (slides, slow river, balls, bouncy castle). The only but is that there are usually too many people and sometimes on Sundays it is quite dirty at the end of the day. In any case, our children said it was the best day of their life. There is nothing written about tastes, and even less for the little ones. For adults there is a spa and an indoor swimming pool. Outside there is a park with a splash park too. (MRT Houshanpi Station Blue Line)
3. Qiangang Park Swimming Pool: You will appreciate the breeze that blows in this pool that is a little more open than the others. It is big but there are not many people. Children's playground in the water, although it is nothing to write home about, and indoor and outdoor swimming pools. You can combine it with Shilin Market for dinner. (MRT Jiantan Station Red Line)
4. Greater XinDian Swimming Pool: very large and with slides, south of Taipei in Bintan Scenic park. You can combine it with the Bitan bicycle park and with the Bitan Scenic area (see Bitan plan). (MRT Xiao Bitan or Xindian Green Line, but it leaves you about 20min on foot, so it is better to take a bike from there).
5. Youth Park Swimming Pool: to the south of the city, with large slides. There is no nearby metro, better by private transport or taxi. You can combine them with a walk through the Zhong Zheng Riverside Park .
6. Taipei Water Park: It does not have a swimming pool but it does have slides and water jets. You can combine it with Gongguan Night Market for dinner or with the Gongguan Waterfront Plaza, which has very cute places with a terrace in front of the river. (MRT Gongguan Station Green Line)
7. Sanmin Swimming Pool: Being small does not have too many people, especially in the morning. Outdoor pool with games for children, indoor pool for adults to swim, and even a spa. You can combine it with SanMin park, which is right in front and has a very cool zip line. And of course with a walk through the wonderful Fujin Street. There is no metro nearby, better to go by private transport or taxi.
8. Keqiang Park Swimming Pool: It is a bit out of the way (Tianmu, expat neighborhood), but we like it a lot because it is very quiet and has trees that provide shade. It has a small covered area for children with mats and inflatables to play. Olympic outdoor pool and spa. (MRT Zhishan Station Red Line).
In addition, Taipei Amusement Park has a splash park (jets where children can soak in) and there is also a Splash Park in Dajia Riverside Park.